Thursday, June 19, 2014

Technology Thursday/Throwback Thursday

This morning, I'm linking up with Teaching Trio and Teacher's Desk 6 for Technology Thursday and Throwback Thursday.

      

I thought that these would be the perfect parties to link together because what I would like to share for Technology Thursday is actually and Throwback post from the past.  Which I've discovered over the past year has been a true GEM!

This past year, my students complete paper facts test on various mathematical functions.  Each student started the year out on addition and when they score three 95% or higher (not in a row), they  progressed to the next function.  Midway through the year, I made a change to include something different.

Enter....XtraMath




What is XtraMath?  XtraMath is a FREE website that allows students to master fact fluency in just a few short minutes.  Students can access the website at school or at home to practice their facts.  In addition, teachers can get emailed updates that show the progress of their class.  Trust me, I hate overloading my email with junk, but this is one email that I don't mind getting.  

So now what does my math class look like now?  Well, twice a week, I have half of my class using a technological device (computer, iPad, iPod touch) to practice their math facts in as little as five minutes or less.  This has been way better and more exciting than a paper version for both the teacher and the student!  

 I was also able to discover that once a student completes all four functions on Xtra Math, you can increase the difficulty level allowing them to continue on. SWEET!  Also, I had a student who was having difficulty responding in the allotted amount of time.  Don't worry, Xtra Math has a fix for that one too!  I was able to increase the response time, providing that student the perfect amount of time!

Be sure to check it out!
Enjoy, 

7 comments:

  1. This is a really neat website. Although, I don't teach math, per se, many of my students struggle with learning their facts. The math teacher and I were just discussing this. She would love this site so I'm sending the info. on to her. Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up your PURR-fect Previous Post!

    From your newest follower,
    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6
    http://teachersdesk6.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't teach math, but my partner teacher loves this site!

    Mary

    Fit
    to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to hear that your partner also finds this website to be a GEM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAHOO! I'm glad that I could help. You can let her know that it's quick and easy to use within a daily lesson. I've seen such a great improvement with my kids that I'm surprised that more teachers don't know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids LOVE XtraMath. We use that in addition to Sumdog, TenMarks, FrontRow Ed, Scootpad and many more! Thanks for sharing because I honestly believe everyone should know about this site!

    Alison

    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been using XtraMath for 3 years now. I love it! Everyone should use it with their kids.

    ✰Becca

    Simply
    2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love XtraMath. My students did too. I have found it so beneficial to all my kids, no matter what level they are on, to build their math fact fluency.

    ReplyDelete