Sunday, November 10, 2013

Math Fact Fluency: XtraMath

It's been a while since my last blog post, but as you can guess, life has been pretty busy both at school and at home.  However, today I wanted to share a new idea that I'm trying out in my math class.  Twice a week, my students complete paper facts test on various mathematical functions.  Each student starts the year out on addition and when they score three 95% or higher (not in a row), they can progress to the next function.  Well,  I thought that this year, I would make a change and try to include something different.

Enter....XtraMath




What is XtraMath?  XtraMath is a free website that allow students to master fact fluency in just a few short minutes.  Students can access the website at school or at home to practice their facts.  In addition, teachers can get emailed updates that shows the progress of their class.  Trust me, I hate overloading my email with junk, but this is one email that I don't mind getting.  

So now what does math class look like now?  Well, twice a week, I have half of my class using a technology device to practice their math facts in as little as five minutes or less.  This has been way better and more exciting than a paper version for both the teacher and the student!  

Be sure to check it out!
Enjoy, 

No comments:

Post a Comment